Nanaimo Bars require 3 layers and creating those can really be time consuming, but all the hard work is worth it.
Find the ingredients and directions of how to make these below the video and don't forget to like our facebook page by clicking like on the right side-bar to stay up to dated.
Nanaimo Bars : A favorite Canadian dessert
Nanaimo Bars Recipe Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter,
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners or icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder (Bird's) or instant vanilla pudding powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 - 3 milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips equals a one once square of chocolate
- chopped (or chocolate chips)
Directions For The Recipe
For the top layer you're going to need 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate, 3 table spoons of chocolate chips or 1 table spoon of butter.
You're also going to need a square or rectangle pan not the round ones. Next thing is to spray the pan with non-stick vegetable spray. Or use a tin foil and spray it with a cooking spray.
For the bottom layer, melt the butter on the pan at a low heat then stir in sugar plus cocoa powder and gradually add the beaten egg. You'll have to keep stirring it while it's cooking till it thickens and that should take a minute or two.
Now remove the pan from the heat then stir in the chopped nuts, vanilla extract, coconut, and graham cracker crumbs. Take the mixture and press it evenly onto a prepared pan then cover it and put it in the fridge till it becomes firm, this should take an hour.
Now for the middle layer you'll need to take the remaining ingredients and beat till everything is smooth. You can use and electric or hand mixer. If it happens that the mixture doesn't become smooth and remain thick, add some milk to it. Once done, put it in the fridge for 30 minutes till it becomes firm.
Use the microwave to melt down the butter and chocolate for the top layer. Then spread it on the melted castard layer and put it in the fridge till the chocolate is set. And that's it.